As you enter the shop, there’s a poster on the wall next to the fiction section which I just have to share. It sets the tone for the rest of the shop and makes any reader, regardless of native language, feel right at home. It’s Daniel Pennac’s ‘Les Droits du Lecteur’ or ‘Rights of the Reader,’ which are:
1. The right not to read
2. The right to skip pages
3. The right not to finish a book
4. The right to re-read
5. The right to read whatever you want
6. The right to ‘Bovarysme’ (the error of identifying too much with the book)
7. The right to read wherever you want
8. The right to dip in and out
9. The right to read out loud
10. The right to silence!
The Matilda Project | Yellowed pages between my fingers make me happy.